Ideas and notes for the 5th Oekonux Conference should go somewhere here or under this page.
This is the complete sub-tree:
Some thoughts by StefanMn:
What we need most is
Someone who is ready to host the 5th Oekonux Conference in her/his institution and do all the local organization.
After the 4th Oekonux Conference Project Oekonux is more or less bankrupt. We can pay for the hosting costs of the technical infrastructure but otherwise we have no money left due to the inability to raise funds for the conference this time. Unless we make some major modifications we need to have a good funding source before we even start to publicly organize.
May be the following instiutions could be asked for funding
- Pirate Party
- Institutions which funded the conferences gathered on the main Plone site
Some thoughts by StefanMn:
Suggestions for locations [at the end of the 4th Oekonux Conference] included:
- Osnabrück (Germany)
Personally I'd very much prefer a city outside the German language sphere. For me anything else would be a major step backward.
Rome or Amsterdam would be great IMHO but we need someone who is ready to host it there. The usual constraints such as a cheap international airport nearby apply of course.
Lucien Petit / Raoul Victor / Mathieu O'Neil could be asked for a location in France such as Paris
Here are some ideas.
- Free Software, Wikipedia, OpenAccess - Three examples of Peer Production compared
- Peer Production and developing countries
- Especially when in Thiruvananthapuram
- Free Software, Free Design, Free Hardware - Three examples of peer production compared
- Free Software, Free Hardware, Free Anything - Three steps on the way to a Free Society
- Sharing Code, Sharing Whole Designs, Sharing Productive Powers - Three steps on the way to a free society beyond scarcity
- Sharing Code, Sharing Whole Designs, Sharing Productive Powers - Three steps on the way to a free society
Insititutions which should be asked for funding:
- Bundeszentrale für politische Bildung
- Shuttleworth Foundation
- Institutions in the commons realm
- Creative Commons
- See their grants page
- Contact could be made through the Creative Commons organization of the country where the conference takes place
- Wikimedia Foundation
In general it could be tried to have a closer cooperation with funders.
The following points apply if the conference is to take place in Thiruvananthapuram / Kerala / India.
According to the thread on [pox] this seems to be a nice idea but there are also reservations.
People in Thiruvananthapuram are interested in hosting the 5th Oekonux Conference.
As previous experience shows this precondition would be met very well.
We need probably much more funding because of much higher travel costs. A quick estimate ends up in about 20000€ which is twice the sum we needed in Vienna.
December is probably the only time of the year where the climate is ok for Europeans. December 2011 could be good time.
- Big symbolic value: It shows that Oekonux is interested in less industrialized countries
- Nice opportunity to think about the relationship of Oekonux theory and less industrialized countries
- New people would be addressed by such a location and Oekonux would become known better among those people
- Funding may come partly from the people in Kerala since they may be able to mobilize funding there
- Funding institutions like the Soros Foundation or the Shuttleworth Foundation are much more willing to sponsor projects in less industrialized countries than in Europe or North America; so applications which failed for past conferences may be accepted
- India is really worth a travel and probably on the wishlist of many people; thus they can combine a visit of the conference with a general visit of India; it may be even possible to offer a small travelling program for participants
- Thiruvananthapuram has an international airport which is relatively well connected (to be checked)
- For Asian and African people Thiruvananthapuram may be easier to reach than Europe or North America
- A video conference could be organized allowing more people to attend virtually
- Travelling costs for speakers are even higher then for previous conferences; however, those costs scale with the number of speakers and this can be cut
- Travelling costs for normal participants may be prohibitive high
- The general effort needed to go to Thiruvananthapuram in terms of time (12 hours from Frankfurt on quick connections) may be prohibitive high for people from Europe or the US
- A video conference could be organized which takes away incentives to physically meet
- Since less people may actually come to Thiruvananthapuram the aspect of meeting people physically will be lost